For long lasting paintwork on masonry walls, Earthborn Silicate Masonry Paint and Primer offer a high performance alternative to traditional limewash.
Being water based and VOC free, Earthborn Silicate Masonry Paint and Primer have strong environmental credentials. They also significantly outperform both limewash and conventional masonry paints; see table below.
The products bond with the underlying material to form a waterproof, weather resistant barrier that also allows the masonry to breathe. Earthborn Silicate Masonry Paint lasts up to 15 years or more between re-paints.
- Earthborn Silicate Primer – stabilises loose, powdery surfaces prior to painting, helps prevent algae growth, ideal for all mineral based surfaces such as stone, concrete, pebbledash, plaster and render.
- Earthborn Silicate Masonry Paint – long lasting, weather resistant, mould resistant, provides a crisp matt finish that does not discolour with time. Available in a standard range of 40 colours.
Compare the performance of Earthborn Silicate Masonry Paint
|Property||Traditionallimewash||Conventionalmasonry paint1||SilicateMasonry Paint|
|Maintenance frequency2||2 – 3 years||5 – 15 years||up to 15 yearsor more|
|Effect of weathering2||weathers back slowly to substrate||may crackand peel||minimal|
|Suitable surfaces for coating||limeplasterand most permeable, mineral surfaces||most clean,stable surfaces||all permeable, mineral surfaces e.g. brick, stone and limeplaster3|
|Suitability for cementatious renders||poor||good||good|
|Typical coats required||3-5 coats||1 primer + 2 coats||1 primer + 2 coats|
|Application method||roller or brush||roller/brush/spray||roller/brush/spray|
|Resistance to mould/algae||good(due to natural alkalinity of product)||poor/good(depends on chemical algicides)||good(due to natural alkalinity of product)|
|Acrylics/acrylic softener content4||none||yes (up to 40%)||very low (5%)|
|VOC content4||0%||up to 8%||0%|
|Applicator health risks5||high(caustic)||medium(VOC and fungicide content)||low(silicate primer similar risk to limewash)|
|Appearance||mottled, varied||flat, uniform||vibrant, delicate texture|
|Suitability for restoration work and historic buildings||traditional||considerationshould be given
and lack of breathability
|effective, durable alternative to limewash|
- Information for conventional masonry paints is indicative of typical products and is not specific to any brand. Performance may vary from brand to brand.
- Dependent on site/environmental conditions and preparation.
- Acrylic softeners and VOCs are widely accepted as being damaging to the environment and contributing to global warming. Acrylics reduce the breathability of the coating to the possible detriment of the building fabric.
- Some clay surfaces may require special treatment.
- Always consult manufacturers’ health and safety data sheets for further information.